Thursday, January 14, 2021

Blog #1

  • How are your initial thoughts about management already changing or being reinforced?
I’ll be completely honest, this is one of the aspects of teaching that intimidates me most. I see how my daughter’s teachers manage their classrooms, and the video observations, as well as my childcare experience, and it still seems like such a difficult task, at least to do well. I really enjoyed the 3 principles of classroom management that we read about and discussed. I think that personal responsibility is such an important concept for children and really, if we can teach children how to manage their own behavior, there is so much less work involved for us as the teacher. 
  • How do Charles' three purposes for management (he calls it classroom discipline) complement each other? 
I think that when they are all taught together, they effectively take the work off the teacher’s shoulders. Students learn that they have choices and their voice is important, they also learn that they choose their behavior and are responsible for those choices. That sense of ownership really makes children feel more involved. 
  • Which authority base are you most attracted to? Why that one?
I would say the referent authority. I do want students to know that I am rooting for them, that I care, and I understand that we cannot be “friends,” but I do want them to have that security that I am on their team. I want them to manage themselves because they want to, because they know that it’s in their best interest and I ask them to do the things I do because it’s for them, not just for me. I feel like this base is the closest to how I want to approach my classroom management. 

5 comments:

  1. Alicen,

    Classroom management is intimidating! For me it’s the idea that there is no perfect algorithm to follow and you never know what you are going to need in the moment. However, that teaching in a nutshell I am learning! Yes, the three purposes for management does take a lot of work off the teachers shoulders yet we have to work hard to implement these before the work load lightens. Ownership, motivation and growth mind set are all characteristics I find myself wanting for my students for their own benefits in the classroom and their future. For authority bases I chose the same one. For me I knew it was because this a base that my favorite teachers in schooling followed. Is this an authority base your teachers or your children’s teachers practiced? Do you think that plays a role in your connection to this base?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chelsea, yes, I think what scares me most are the students that have extreme behaviors. My child is one of those and I have a hard time managing her at home and sometimes I wonder how her teachers can do it! I have not seen this with my children’s teachers, but I did get to experience it in high school and it was such a great connection it made me discover I love learning! I hope to be that person for some of my students too!

      Delete
  2. Alicen,

    I, too, am consistently intimidated by classroom management! Sometimes it seems like an impossible task. And maybe some days it kind of is? However, I do feel like things seem to come naturally after a while. My mentor teacher is a great example of this, as she has had many years of experience. Additionally, I love that you mentioned ownership as something that is vital. I can’t really imagine any child enjoying something that have zero say in. Giving freedom and choice is a great act of love, and I guarantee students notice that. What are some things that you have picked up from work, or your daughters’ teachers, that you want to implement later on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily, actually I think that choices are so so important! After reading your blog and seeing that you are a BT I’m sure you are getting use to offering choices constantly even if they may feel silly at times. For my daughter (she has autism) I have to always offer some sort of choice, “do you want to wash 8 dishes or 10?” “Do you want to do work for 10 minutes or 15 minutes?” Even though there’s no choice in the task itself, when she gets to make a choice, she almost always feels better about the task at hand. The other thing I’ve learned (which is harder to implement at home) is positive discipline, at work I always try to stay away from negatives, “don’t do that, stop it, you shouldn’t do that,” and things like that. Instead, we always try to frame it positively, “we share with our friends, walking feet, let’s take turns,” etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicen,

    I too think that behavior management is one of the most intimidating parts about becoming a teacher. I have fears that I will make the wrong move or not know what the appropriate approach is when it comes to managing my students. A lot of this fear i'm sure comes from my lack of experience in the classroom so I am hoping that after this class and after getting some experience during my practicum, some of these anxieties will subside. I also think that referent authority resonates with me the most. I want my students to know that I genuinely care about them and that their learning and well being is very important to me. Overall, Great post!

    Katie Byers

    ReplyDelete

Blog #5

  Select 3 Things you have learned this quarter and describe how your thoughts changed, developed, or were reinforced by our course work. Be...