Many teachers who believe in student-centered learning struggle to give up teacher-centered management. What do you think about Garrett's premise? Why do you think teachers struggle with this?
I think one of the biggest struggles I can see has to do with time-management. Having many student-led or student-centered activities can take time. Allowing students to take their time and really dig into their own learning can be time consuming. On the other hand, having children self-manage their behavior, can take time as well. If you allow students to be in charge of their own behaviors and classroom management, I can see the worry that it will cut into academic time being a valid one. I think it may be a struggle for some teachers as well because they may begin to question their role if they aren't necessary for management and learning. I think that our main function as a teacher is to be a guide, and really to present information and questions and let their brains get to work.
Where is your "sweet-spot" on the continuum? Why do you believe that location is the best fit for you?


Hi Alicen!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog. You made a great point about not having enough time. I think this is probably going to be one of the struggles when doing inquiries as well. Students have so many questions and I'm sure that we will really be able to answer them all. I also like what you said about making mistakes. We are all human and we all make mistakes, but each mistake is a learning opportunity.
Great post!
Alicen, I love that you bring up time. Such a critical element to the work we do. I wonder if it is a trade off though. I wonder if we spend more time at the start in order to include students knowing that it pays off in the long run with self-control and self-management? Hmmm . . . something to consider :)
ReplyDelete